Thinking about joining?
We warmly welcome anyone 18+ who identifies as a woman to visit and become a member, no matter what your views on religion or politics may be. We are actively looking for new members so come along to a meeting and see how you like it! We are all friendly and we would be very pleased to welcome you to N1 WI – baking is not a prerequisite!
Here are some of the benefits of being a WI member:
- at least 11 main meetings a year – we do 12 as we like having a Christmas party. All members can contribute ideas to the annual programme of speakers, activities and events
- a free fabulous N1 WI badge
- 8 copies of the WI magazine WI Life throughout the year
- a discount booklet
- access to our subgroups
- discounts on courses at Denman College, the WI’s residential centre for learning
- access to WI resources (crafts, recipes, campaigns, etc.) on the WI training website, My WI
- access to WI-only camping weekends, like the fabulous Tea & Tents, Jam Jars & Tent Pegs, or Wigs ‘n’ Wellies (there may be a theme here…)
- ability to apply for N1 WI educational bursaries of £100 each, one in January and one in July
- ability to apply for Federation and National bursaries for Denman
There are also regional and national campaigns, local charities that we support, fundraising events where we sell cakes and the like at local festivals, and masses more to get involved in.
Aside from these benefits, the WI is a brilliant place to learn and experience things you probably wouldn’t otherwise, a great source of education and empowerment, and an excellent place to make really good friends – a couple of our members have written about their experiences with the WI:
- Ruthie about what she gets out of membership
- Helena has written about the WI Walks’ Trans Pennine Trail challenge, about walking 185 miles in 9 days to raise money for the Saving Denman Appeal, and the kindness and generosity they encountered from WI members every step of the way
The membership subscription for 2019 is £42.
For anyone joining the WI for the first time (or who hasn’t been a member of a WI in the last 10 years) you can pay a pro-rata subscription depending on the quarter in which you join, as shown in the table below.
We accept payments via cash, cheque or bank transfer. Please fill out the Membership Form and bring it with you to a meeting!
To pay via bank transfer please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the details.
If you want a taster to see what we’re like, you can make up to 3 visits before having to join, and we ask for a donation of £5 per visit to help cover the costs of hiring the hall and materials for meetings. Visitors are always welcome!
WI members can belong to more than one WI, by paying the full membership fee to the first WI, and a further £20.50 to any additional WIs at any time of the year. There is no pro-rata rate for dual membership.
2019 Pro-Rata Membership Fees
|Date of joining 2019||Pro-rata subscription due 2019|
|1 January – 31 March||£42|
|1 April – 30 June||£31.50|
|1 July – 30 September||£21|
|1 October – 31 December||£10.50|